Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Mo



The memories of my childhood - not unlike yours probably - are filled with moments in which I found myself huddled among my peers, our feet or knuckles forming a sloppy sort of circle while one of us sets about the formidable task of determining who was going to be "it". No matter if the rhyme was "Eeny meeny miney mo.." or "Bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish...", the goal was to keep it random so no one could be accused of playing favorites. Anticipation was just part of the fun.

As a child I didn't mind that things were arbitrary. For the most part my days weren't planned. Other than organized sports or piano lessons, my days were pretty much my own. Pretend my dolls are having a giant slumber party which include a giant pink and white puppy dog? Sure. Lip synch the entire Muppet Movie album for hours on end? Why not! Hakuna Matata, man.

However, most people they see chaos as their mortal enemy. Our days are planned. Our trips are planned. Our meals are planned. Not much is left to chance these days. Don't even think about being spontaneous, we've got things to do, right?

Guess what - and moms know this more than anyone - our plans are worthless. Our plans are overwritten by an almighty God. And thank goodness because we'd get it all wrong. God has a great plan for us, and when we do things our way we are only getting in His way. That doesn't mean you leave everything to chance. I'm pretty sure none of us are going to buy a house on the Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Mo Method. Instead talk to God about His plan. Listen to what He has to say about your life. Trust me, He cares enough He'll tell you.

Heavenly Father,

Please forgive us for doing things our own way. Please forgive those times when we thought that we knew best and made decisions without you. Give us the ability to be still and know you. Open our ears to hear your word and your desires for us. Thank you for loving us enough to make a fool-proof plan if only we would listen to you. Throughout the bible you have revealed that your guidance is patient, kind, and loving. Help us to trust in your word and to not worry when things go awry. Your plan is better than our plan. Your ways are better than our ways. 
Amen

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."" - Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment