Monday, May 26, 2014

More Vow Than Wow




I saw on Facebook recently where a fellow mom asked the question, "Does your husband wow you?" I'm sad to say that some of the responses were disheartening. Seems to me there are a lot of women who are unhappy if their husband doesn't "wow" them every hour of every day.

Listen ladies, let's put the same question to your husbands. Does your wife wow you? I'm sure he's going to be quick to comment things like: Oh yes, I love it when she does the dishes. That BLT she made me knocked my socks off. Oooh la la, when she meets me at the door in her yoga pants and college t-shirt I'm in heaven.

Why is it that we expect our men to "wow" us when we're doing very little "wow-ing" of our own? I hear you, I know you're busy taking care of the kids, doing the laundry, and fixing snacks. But ladies, your husband is busy in his own right. Did he just put in 8 or more hours at work? Sat in traffic for 45 minutes? Mow the yard? Fix the leaky faucet? Did he tuck the kids in bed while you did those dishes? Did he literally bring home that bacon you asked him to pick up on the way home?

Don't get me wrong. I'm guilty. I'm so guilty of expecting more "wow" from my husband that they should probably start the Naggers Anonymous club just for me. But the truth is when I sit back and look for those "wow" moments they aren't so hard to find. And I bet you can find some too. And if you can't, I challenge you to give him a few of your own special "wow" moments and just see how he reacts.

Truth is, you didn't stand in front of a bunch of family and friends and vow to "wow" each other. You vowed to take care of each other. To love each other. Help each other out even when you don't feel like it. I know it may be hard to recollect the exact words you used as the rings were passed, but I guarantee no one was promising they'd be in "wow" mode all the time. 

Date night tip: pull out that wedding video or album and reminisce and you'll see that I'm right!

Focus on what you did promise and do that. Help your husband when he comes home by honoring his time. Be supportive and encouraging as he tackles his daily obligations. Be loving and gentle when you communicate your needs and desires.

Focus on the vow not the wow.

Heavenly Father,

Help me to focus on the vow not the wow. Help me remember what it truly means to be a loving wife. Give me the gentle and quiet spirit that I need to love my husband. When I feel the urge to be resentful and angry, give me Your grace and forgiveness. Help me to recognize my husband's needs and the desire to meet them with a joyful heart. 

Amen

"You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God." - 1 Peter 3:4 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment