Monday, May 20, 2013

Blindspot





One Saturday I was out running errands with my two boys. In and out of the car. In and out of the store. Rinse and repeat. You know what I'm talking about right? It's the Mommy Mantra.

We finally finished our last stop, and as I'm creeping my way through the busy grocery store parking lot, I pass in front of the grocery store entrance. While inching along, I didn't notice a man walking with his daughter coming out of the store to my left. They obviously had the right of way, so they walk forward to cross in front of me. However, I only saw them at the very last second when the man was close enough to touch my car. Fortunately, since I wasn't going very fast, I was able to stop in time and let them pass.

I was horrified I hadn't seen them. He was even more horrified that I hadn't yielded and gave me the look to make sure I knew it. Where had they come from?! Why didn't I see them?! Simple. They were in my blindspot. You know, that annoying part of the car that keeps the roof and the windows in place? That is exactly the spot that obstructed my view. Although I thought I was being careful, I failed to recognize what was happening right in front of me (or at least to the immediate left).

Do you have something in your life obstructing your view? Or maybe a blindspot keeping you from seeing something clearly? It could be a thought, an addiction, or maybe even a friend or family member. We all have things hindering us from truly fulfilling God's will. When people, things and situations are against God's command, it's easy for us to overlook them. It's our very own personal blindspot. And unlike the one in the car, we can't just look around it anymore, we have to get rid of it.

Heavenly Father,

Please help me to recognize that area in my life which is causing a blindspot. There's something or someone hindering me from seeing the truth about myself and the people around me. I'm sorry I have let myself be blinded by this obstacle. I want to be made aware of what is keeping me from my full potential with You. Please remove any thought, deceit, or object standing in my way. I have believed the enemy's lies that I don't need to see things Your way. I believed people when they told me it was just the way I was, and that I didn't need to change my perspective. Lord I ask you tear down walls I have built to separate myself from others. Break down the strongholds weighing me down. Expose those areas of my life keeping me from Your will, Lord. Give me a new lens that reveals a new perspective on my position as a wife, a mother, a daughter, a friend. I need You to reveal Your love to me, Lord. Let my focus be on You, and not my defeats or weaknesses. I claim victory in this area of my life, Lord. Your vision will be my vision.

In Jesus' name, amen.

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38, 39

No comments:

Post a Comment