Tuesday, June 22, 2010

On our Hearts- Parenting

Since becoming a mom of two, I cannot tell you how many times I have compared my two girls. Maybe not intentionally but my oldest is the first and only experience I have. My two daughters could not be further apart in personality, demeanor, and attitude. I often catch myself exasperated by my youngest who is three and recently I have realized I have been unfair. 'Little bit' is as strong-willed as they come, determined to get her way, but incredibly loving and loyal. I have been reading up on how to parent a strong willed child, what I have learned is less about her and more about myself. You see, as a mom it is my job to look at her as she is, not to compare her to her older sibling or anyone else. Does God compare me to another? We are all created uniquely, individually, and purposefully. I truly believe that 'Little bit' will grow up with these wonderful traits to achieve whatever she wants. I need to remind myself that I cannot parent both of my children the same because they are not the same. What motivates one will not necessarily work for the other.

Father,
Being a mom is hard, being a parent is hard. I know as a child of Yours I have failed, faltered, not listened, and have been defiant. I pray that I can be a good parent to both of my children, to parent them individually, to look at them as unique. You have created each of them purposefully, and I am so grateful for that. Help me to be a good mother, to not just try to parent them but remember to pray for them and with them. Help me to stay calm in the moments I need it, to step back and look at the whole picture. Help me to embrace 'Little bit', direct and guide her the way she needs to be.

Amen


"Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration—what a creation! You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day." Psalm 139: 13-16

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Thank you... I am pregnant with my second and was thinking the same thing.. and then God lead me here! I got so much from this.... and you are right it is me, the parent who needs to look at how I am comparing one to the other and the other isn't even here yet! lol. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete